Saturday 22 November 2008

Ummmmm, it's snowing.

Today I have decided I am grateful for snow. We have been living in warm weather climates for the past 7 1/2 years so we hadn't seen snow in quite a while. More importantly my 7 year old daughter had never seen it. Except when she was a baby when we were living in Nebraska. Even her memory is not that good(though it is comparable at times to that of an elephant)! Now that we are in England we could expect to see some but were told by locals that due to global warming they didn't get to much anymore. Well someone else had another idea today. First we spied one flake (faces in expressions of disbelief) then another, and another, until it was cascading down in a torrent. We knew it would probably be brief and not stick but it would be my daughter's first glimpse of the white stuff and my son's first sighting in quite some time. To see the wonderment in both of their eyes was fantastic. They went outside and whirled and twirled in it and shrieked in utter amazement. Standing there watching them get such joy from a few fleeting moments of a snow shower reminded me what the stuff of life is all about. Those joyous moments that fling themselves in your lap. You can either let yourself enjoy them or go have a sulk because you don't have this or that. Today I chose to celebrate this moment of pure amazement in my children's lives. I am so gifted to be able to witness it. I am truly lucky to not only be a mother but to be their mother. I was meant for this purpose. I am exactly where I am supposed to be. I want for nothing and have everything I require. How truly gifted I am. I am ever so grateful for that moment of pure wonderment in my children's eyes. They reminded me of simple joys. If you don't recognize them they will pass you by like a fleeting snow shower. One minute it is there, the next it is gone. So make sure, as I am learning to make sure, that you grab ahold of those moments and savor them. Who knows when you might get another like it?

No comments: